I would love to say that I don’t need affirmation or acknowledgement of my writing, of who I am becoming as a woman, or me as a whole person. However, I would be lying. There is something innate in the human spirit that needs to be acknowledged and validated.
It is an interesting paradox in the world we live in today because women are told not to be “needy,” or God forbid, even appear needy. We are supposed to be self-reliant. The same goes with men. They are being told to be softer and more emotional, etc.
There is this social message that is being pounded into us on a daily basis that we are not good enough if we need someone else or need encouragement and validation.
I do not agree with this sentiment at all. We are created to be in relationships, and thus, encouragement, validation, and acknowledgement are all part of that relationship process.
One of the ways – online – that we provide this process of encouragement and validation in the chronically ill society, and bloggers in general, is through awards. I think it is one of the most positive things that happens to those who strive to communicate with others through blogging. We tell each other that we have their backs and that we appreciate them every time we pass an award on to another blogger/friend.
And that is a good thing.
Today I am honored to have received two (2) more awards which also require me to pass on the acknowledgement and validation to many other blogs and friends that I love through the blogosphere. So here goes. (My apology if this is a little lengthy today. Rules for each award will be posted below my post, at the end).
First, I want to thank Michelle of, Dogkisses’s, who graciously nominated 4Walls and AView for this for the Versatile Award. If you love dogs, you definitely want to read her blog and get to know Michelle better!
Now off to the 15 blogs I have chosen to pass on the Versatile Award to.
1. Hidden Lives: This blog is always unique, interesting and a place where I always learn something new. Sometimes she posts a photo, other times the written word. Whatever she shares, however, always impacts me for the better.
2. * Renee’s Reflections: This is a blog that always feels like home to me. Renee has become a dear friend who has this incredible wisdom, as well as, the ability to write from a heartfelt and honest place. One visit here and you will find a wonderful soul and friend for life!
3. The Country Thinker: When I think about a blogger who is a prolific writer, I think of Ted. Not only does he write, a lot, but he writes in a way that continually causes me to think, challenges my own belief system, and requires me to “know why I believe what I believe.” In politics, particularly, that is a rare find!
4. No Poster Girl: This is a fairly new blog for me, however, I have fallen in love with Jocelyn’s blog. She has this amazing ability to write in a way that she completely pulls you into her life and you walk away feeling like you have been friends with her forever.
5. * A Writer’s Words, An Editor’s Eye: I absolutely love this blog. Lillie is a professional writer and editor and understands the challenges of living with illness. Her blog is always full of the most wonderful nuggets for writers, those who are ill, spirituality, etc. I am always amazed at what I find here.
6. *The Thing with Feathers: Okay. I have to be honest here. Susannah had me at her blog’s title. I was totally intrigued the first time I saw the name. Susannah’s blog is a perfect reflection of who she is as a person; warm, bubbly, vivacious, real, friendly, encouraging, funny, and on and on. This is a blog and a blogger you want to get to know for sure!
7. *Dreams at Stake: Laurel has become someone who has a special place in my heart. I consider her an incredible human being and a wonderful, close friend. Her blog is one that is loaded with inspiration, determination, and hope. All things that I constantly try to imbue in my own life. If you have not read her blog, you definitely will want to. It will become one of your most favorite blogs … I promise.
8. Niamh, me and ME: This is another new addition to the blogs I love to read. Jexxy’s blog is unique, fresh, vibrant, honest, edgy and contains a beautiful little girl in the mix. I love Jexxy’s perspective, her determination and her ability to constantly overcome!
9. CATachresis: There are times that I want to visit a blog that makes me smile, that allows me to escape from the tediousness of the day, or just have some fun. Carolyn’s blog does that for me through her story-telling of the adventures of her cats. And I’m not even a cat lover. But I was hooked the first time I visited!
10: Discovering Purpose: This is a blog that has so profoundly impacted my life that not only did Ayo become my friend, but he became my ally and editor for my monthly column. This blog is full of determination, positivity, hope, help, and encouragement. It is one you definitely want on your ‘to read list.’
11. *At Home on the Rock: Sometimes, I fall in love with a blog because of it beauty and simplicity. Linda’s blog is one that keeps me coming back because of her incredible photography and the simply beauty in which she shares her life, family, and living with ME.
12. George Angus: This is another new blog I have recently started reading. If you are a writer, or even dabble in writing, this is a must read blog.
13. Hustler’s Notebook: There is something about brutal honesty and grace that I find very attractive and JK has both in spades. His blog is a constant source of determination, inspiration and motivation. I find myself reading his posts over and over.
14. Transform you Chronic Life: Wendy does a fabulous job with her blog and always amazes me with her wealth of knowledge when it comes to treating ME with herbs. Her blog is full of information, ideas, and encouragement. Well worth the read!
15. Chronicles of the Chronically Ill: This is another new blog for me that I recently discovered. Laura writes and shares in a way that is truly impacting and powerful. I never leave her blog without feeling that I left better than when I arrived!
[...]German derivation. While there are many meanings for this word the one word I am going to base my nominations on–because you know single words are ever so important to me–is, beloved one which means, one who is dear to the heart. [borrowed from Baffled's blog]
Instead of listing five (5) more blogs, I decided that I would place an asterisk next to the blogs that I have passed this award on to.
In addition, I am going to forego listing seven (7) things about myself. I think my blog does that pretty well, so no use re-tooting my own horn, if you will!
Congratulations to everyone above! You all do a oustanding job every day and you should be proud of all you accomplish.
1. Rules for Versatile Award:
- Thank the person who gave you this award. That’s common courtesy.
- Include a link to their blog. That’s also common courtesy — if you can figure out how to do it.
- Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly.
- Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award — you might include a link to this site.
- Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.
2. Rules for Liebster Award
- List five blogs you enjoy reading.
- Let the author know you’ve selected them for the award.
- Copy and paste the award to your blog.
- Hope the recipients will pass it along to their five favs.
Determined to continue forward,