As most of my readers know by now I love to set new goals at the beginning of the New Year. Trying to achieve them, keep them by being consistent, and allowing myself some flexibility because of the ME and the FMS (plus residual toxic poisoning) is a whole other issue. Despite that, I am determined if nothing else.
This year I decided to soften my goals, if you will. One of this year’s goals happened on me unaware, and to be perfectly honest, thoroughly ticked me off.
As someone who has endured toxic exposure and must now tread carefully in my daily exposure to toxic chemicals, as well as being someone who is living with ME, what I bring into my home is carefully guarded. What I learned this past week was daunting, frightening and … frankly … infuriating.
When I purchase products, I do so with the idea that they are safe AND that they will stay that way. So … you can imagine my surprise when I discovered all my cleaning supplies, makeup, and hair and bath products were now considered moderately to seriously toxic!
Others were new products that I tried after being told they were infused with plants only to find out they are highly toxic. And some, outright failed in toxic safetiness!
Even if I were well, I would not want to be exposed to the many dangerous chemicals that are now being put into skin care products and cleaning products just so some company can make a few extra bucks. Call me silly, but if I’m going to die, I want to do so at a ripe old age and of NATURAL causes! Not … as the result of someone else’s greed!
Now you may be wondering how I discovered that my products were toxic. Well, that leads me to the purpose of this post. The Environmental Working Group is an organization I came across when I was first poisoned and helped me navigate this crazy world we live in now.
To be honest, I now realize I got a little lazy and made the assumption that others could be trusted with my well-being. That won’t happen again.
For the past several weeks I have been dealing with that horrible sensation of “my eyeballs feeling like they were going to pop” as well as the awful “bugs crawling” sensation in my head, restless legs, eye pain, breathing issues and light sensitivity. I knew my diet wasn’t the culprit because I have pretty much mastered eating all natural, farm and organic foods.
So I started looking at what I was putting on my body instead of into it. I discovered the Aveda Products I had recently purchased scored a 5 out of 10 for Toxicity overall. However, some of the individual ingredients scored an 8 out of 10 on the toxicity level! Yikes!
The very first ingredient which was fragrance scored an 8 and was known to affect the … wait for it …EYES! UGH!
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) states on their website that Fragrance causes,
Ecotoxicology, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Miscellaneous, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
BOOM! Within seconds of visiting EWG I knew that it wasn’t something I was eating, but something I was putting on my body.
As a precaution I decided to check my cleaning products and was devastated to learn that they were all toxic. I also found the same result in my bath care, make up, and skin care. UGH! Really?
In essence, I was suffering from toxic overload. Again …
Thanks to EWG and all their hard work, I was able to spend a few days of researching and found products that are now 2 and under on their toxicity scale. (Just to clarify we want to be purchasing products that score a 2 or less in order to be considered low toxicity).
When all was said and done, my symptoms completely disappeared once I got rid of all the products I had been using.
As for makeup, I discovered Mary Kay rated 7 and up. So I decided to go back to Bare Minerals but quickly learned that I had to stick to the Original line as the new line had become moderately toxic.
While I realize my health and well-being are my responsibility, it seems to me that it is becoming harder and harder to find products that are truly safe. AND when I do, I must remember to remain diligent in double checking their safety rating on a regular basis.
So the moral of this lesson is to pay attention to those symptoms that indicate toxic overload as well as continue using the EWG website on a regular basis as companies update products and often take short cuts because they assume we customers will not be on our toes.