Simplicity, 3 Words, and 2012

"Number 3"I was catching up on my blog reading, when I came across Tamara’s new post at Empty Thoughts, Rewritten, and it caught my attention.

The reason it caught my attention is because I have been thinking about words that keep rising up within me that reflect where my heart and soul for 2012 is, especially after my two-part series called, My 12 Changes to Living Better with ME: Part 1 of 2 and My 12 Changes to Living Better with ME: Part 2 of 2.

Tamara’s post, 3 Words for 2012, thus, really struck a chord in me.  I decided that I would follow through and share my three words for 2012 with my readers and see what you all think.

The first word (actually two) is to love unconditionally.  I have been hearing that over and over for several months now.  We live in a time that so many people are at odds with each other and it is so easy to get caught up in that.

My second word is listen I have decided I really want (and need – ugh) to listen more and talk less.  Anyone who knows me, knows how verbose I can get.  I thought listening more would actually be easier, but I’m discovering that people aren’t quite sure what to do when I sit quietly and just listen.  So I’m struggling to find a balance of listening and responding! (that ties into one of my 12 changes for this year!).

My third word is presentI really want to work much harder at being present for those people who are important in my life.  Whenever they need me, I want to shut down all distractions and focus 100% on them.  However, I am also wanting to go beyond that and be more present for people who cross my path via the internet, bus, taxis, whatever.

Additionally, I want to be more present in the here and now (another connection to my 12 changes for 2012).

The more I think about my three words for 2012, the more I realize and grasp the simplicity of it.  This year – for me anyway – will be about, loving unconditionally, being present, and last but not least, listening more.

How easy is that?  So what are your three words for 2012?

Determined to continue forward,

"Red Signature"

12 thoughts on “Simplicity, 3 Words, and 2012”

1. Tamara Epps says:

Hi Dominque, I’m so glad to have inspired you with my post. I really like all your choices for this year and know that I could use them all myself (I, too, have a habit of talking and talking and talking!). Good luck for the following year and I look forward to all your coming posts.

Tamara – You are so welcome!

2. Carolyn says:

Of course listening is not a passive thing. It takes some energy! Sometimes talking is a lot less tiring! Good post, Dominique

Carolyn – Sometimes it takes more energy!” I find it does most if the time with this illness! ha ha

3. upnorth says:

sounds like three great things to work on. I remember one new years setting the goal of being a better listener (I used to be very chatty, talkative etc.). It really is hard, I agree.

up north – Hope you are feeling better my friend.

4. Renee says:

Simple but profound…clear…an easy? not so sure :) I like your friend’s 3 words idea…will head over to her blog to read what she has written too. Good to have you back Dominiques sharing your insights with us, your readers and your friends online.

good to be back Renee!

5. Country Thinker says:

I’m going to cheat. “Noble Eightfold Path.” I’m not a buddhist (My religious views don’t fit into any typical mold and I keep them close to my chest), but I think the principles are helpful for anyone of any religion. Right view, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration.

Ted … LOVE that. I can even see those fitting into my faith perfectly!

6. gPatricia Stotler says:

Listening is a true gift we can give to others. It can be a rare person
    who really listens With “tired brains” it is even a greater gift when we can give it to someone who needs it. I was given this gift by a special Pastor who taught me how very comforting and special it is to have someone
    who truly and actively listens. This Pastor
    would come for weekly visits. I have to say Kassy’s story is about
    the best one I have ever read. All have been good. She so concisely
    and clearly expressed the losses and the positives. It alsmost hurts
    to say there are positives but as she said the positives gives us
    purpose in our suffering of this disease. I am so thankful too that
    my faith that “this life isn’s all there is” is a great comfort to
    me as a Christian. Everything lost will be regained many times
    over!

Patricia – I remember you telling me about that Pastor. I think that is a great Pastor and one that was called to be a Pastor.

I think Kassy did a great job as well. Im glad her story resonated with you.

I agree with you as well about faith. So many things like death don’t bother me because I know this isn’t all there is … that there is more to come.