Destiny can Blossom among the Thorns of LIFE

"office"

My Office Space

I have been thinking a lot about the past three years and the many obstacles and changes I have had to find ways to circumvent.  There were times that I just had to will myself to take a step forward.  Often, those steps seemed small and insignificant.  More often, it appeared as if I wasn’t moving forward at all.

Despite that, hind sight really is 20/20.  So many things have changed in my life for the better.  However, in order for me to embrace these positive changes I had to constantly remind myself that tomorrow is always full of the possibility of a different outcome even when everything in my immediate purview told me otherwise.

One of the most profound changes that has become symbolic of the physical changes that have occurred in the last one plus years, is in my living environment.  When I first moved into this apartment I came with a few boxes, a few sets of clothes and nothing else.  My first purchase was an air mattress.

"Bed"

Bedrom is getting there!

Since that time, I have been steadily buying a piece or two of furniture every three months.  In addition, I was recently blessed with a few pieces of furniture plus a nice television and DVD/CD player.

I cannot tell you how these few pieces of furniture and the ability to watch movies, television shows and whatnot have positively impacted my emotional well-being.  My home is finally starting to feel like my home.

While that may not seem like a huge deal … it really is.

Suddenly I have a space in this world that is all mine.  The emptiness that once was my apartment is no longer here and thus no longer echos of the many losses I suffered from the mold and poisoning.

"Smash the Pug"

Smash Leroux

My eyes are greeted every day with color, texture, and things that are an extension of who I am … of who I am becoming out of the ashes of destruction.

I am greeted with a four-legged, smashed-face creature who showers me with love every single day.  In doing so, he has slowly but surely lessened the grief that gripped my heart at the loss of my beloved Dekker (and having to re-home Bronte).

My environment also reminds me that I never truly know what my destiny and future hold.  No matter what life throws at me, nothing is set in stone.

"Drum Night Stand"

Authentic Drum turned Nightstand

Change can happen.

Good can come out of bad.

Purpose can be birthed out of loss and grief.

Destiny can blossom even among the thorns of life.

What I have learned in all of this, perhaps more than anything, is that steadfastness and the human spirit (my will) are really all that is needed in order to hang on and endure tragedy.  What I choose to believe really does dictate what ultimately comes to pass.

The road I travel is not always of my own making, but the person I become, the strength and resolve that is birthed within me, is.

Determined to Continue Forward,

"Red Signature"

12 thoughts on “Destiny can Blossom among the Thorns of LIFE”

1. Lillie Ammann says:

Dominique,
    Your post is a lovely testament to your beautiful spirit. I’m glad your apartment is becoming your home. I’ve been doing a lot of rearranging and reorganizing in my home to make it more comfortable for me alone, so I understand. Everything you have gone through has made you very caring, generous, and strong.

Lillie – I’m glad that you are making adjustments to living life alone. I cannot even begin to image how difficult that must be. Thank you so much for all your support, encouragement and friendship these past few years.

2. Yun Yi says:

Dominique,
    It is amazing to see your improvement. It feels like miracle. And IT IS. You home is neat and beautiful. I am very happy for you! Keep it up!

Yum Yi! It’s so good to hear from you! Thank you so much. I hope you are still improving as well my friend.

3. Linda says:

I am so happy for you and all of the improvements you’ve made, Dominique. I’ve followed you through some of your most difficult times and it is refreshing to hear of all these blessings and miracles.

Linda – You have been an amazing friend to me through all of this and I can’t tell you how much I truly appreciate you. How is your business going? I need to add a link on my blog so I can help you spread the word.

4. Bev Boother says:

Hello again my friend. Once again you lift me up with encouraging words that tell me to have faith that things could improve. Sometimes i feel like its hopeless yet god sends you to remind me once again to keep hope snd faith. Your home is beautiful, I really wish we didn’t live so far away! Would love to come and give your pug a squish! I love you and you are my guardian angel.

Bev – I’m glad you found solace in my post. I have no doubt you can do this. It really is a ‘one day at a time’ thing. Sometimes I look back and realize I have been doing this for 20 years and am amazed that I have done it. I really believe you have a great chance at getting to a much better place so hang in there girl!

5. Patricia STOTLER says:

Happy Thanksgiving, Dominique. Your life today is the flip coin of just a little over a year ago. It is uplifting to hear good news. I have missed your blog…a nice surprise to find you posted again. Thank you for makimg it easy to comment. I simply cannot get pass the spammer test where you have to type in words. I have tried several times to do that at Renee Dahlen’s blog and she says she has no trouble?!

Thank you Patricia!! Happy thanksgiving to you and Lucy!!!

6. Forgetful Girl says:

Off topic, but just wanted to say: WOW! I am loving your new (well, new to me!) website. I have been away from blogging/blogs for a while so just catching up on everything. You have done sucha good job. The becomingvisible4me website is FANTASTIC. Well done!

Girl – It is good to have you back! Thank you so much. Hope we can catch up through our blogs!